Newbie multiple packages question

Hi all,

I have a problem that's beyond my limited RPM knowledge and need some advice.

I have a source tree for software that runs on a small cluster. There are several different node types, and each type requires different software. The idea is to create one binary RPM per node type, then use the cluster tools to distribute and install the RPMs to their correct
nodes.

My 'make install' target creates a directory structure as follows:

$INSTALL_ROOT/node1/etc/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node1/bin/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node1/opt/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node2/etc/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node1/bin/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node2/opt/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node3/etc/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node1/bin/...
$INSTALL_ROOT/node3/opt/...

My spec file looks something like this (some parts omitted):

Name: cluster
Version: 1
Release: 1

---snip---

%package node1
%description
Software for node 1

%package node2
%description
Software for node 2

%package node3
%description
Software for node 3

---snip---

%install
make install INSTALL_ROOT=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files node1
%defattr(-,root,root)
/node1/*

%files node2
%defattr(-,root,root)
/node2/*

%files node3
%defattr(-,root,root)
/node3/*

The problem is the files in the binary packages obviously have /node1, /node2, etc prefixes. Is there a way to strip these off so the packages install as intended?

I've thought about not using the prefixes at all in 'make install'. But there are config files with identical names that must be installed on each node.

I might be going about this the wrong way... if so, I'd really appreciate suggestions. I *can* change the way 'make install' works.

Thanks in advance,
Jim