Re: How to see options enabled in the RPM

info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (dan) writes:

[snip]
> I've also wondered this for quite some time.  This would be a very
> valuable tool.  Sometimes, as James says, you are able to spend some
> time and find out, from the .spec file, what the build-time options
> are. Others, you're not, due to the variable nature of each .spec file
> to get the software to compile on a variable range of machines.
>
> This should be something that is given a great amount of consideration
> to, or at least having RPM create a file or appending to the .spec in
> commented code how exactly the RPM was built, or at laest an option
> for that - perhaps in the changelog somewhere.  I don't know.  Maybe
> next version, huh?  ;)

Openpkg packages do this by default (even if they way they do this is
not standard):

$ /openpkg/bin/openpkg rpm -qi postfix
Name:     postfix                   Source RPM:   postfix-2.1.5-2.3.0.src.rpm
Version:  2.1.5                     Signature:    md5:9c5be2cba30cd0ed89f4e106bc19abec
Release:  2.3.0                     Build Host:   nl.wl0.org
Group:    Mail                      Build System: ix86-whitebox3.0
Class:    BASE                      Build Time:   Sun Apr 10 12:17:35 2005
Distrib:  OpenPKG                   Install Time: Sun Apr 10 12:18:00 2005
License:  IPL                       Install Size: 33205588 bytes
Packager: The OpenPKG Project       Relocations:  /openpkg
Vendor:   Wietse Venema
    Postfix is a new-generation Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) able to fully
    replace the Sendmail MTA.

    Local specifics in this OpenPKG version:
    o Postfix delivers locally via Procmail
    o Postfix logs directly to the filesystem and not via syslog(3)
    o Berkeley-DB lookup table support
    o PCRE matching support
    o Optional STARTTLS support (see package options below)
    o Optional SASL2 authentication support (see package options below)
    o Optional MySQL support (see package options below)
    o Optional OpenLDAP support (see package options below)
    o Optional WHOSON support (see package options below)
Provides:
    postfix::with_fsl = yes
    postfix::with_ssl = no
    postfix::with_sasl = no
    postfix::with_spf = no
    postfix::with_srs = no
    postfix::with_mysql = no
    postfix::with_ldap = no
    postfix::with_whoson = no
    postfix::with_fdsetsize = no
    MTA
    postfix = 2.1.5-2.3.0

The nice thing is the build system can query the package and upgrade
it with the same options (rebuilding from the source rpm).

It would be nice if something like this was made more generic and used
by everyone, although that would take a lot of work from the package
maintainers.

So it _can_ be done even if most distributions don't do it.

Simon