Re: upgrading numerous packages

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 11:22 -0700, Vinay Venkataraghavan wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I think the problem as Sean
> said was that I was trying to upgrade using the -U
> option rather than just install it.
>
> I have one other question. Does the distribution an
> rpm comes from matter. For instance if I have an rpm
> that is available from Conectiva, can I use it on Red
> hat. It seems to me that only the architecture would
> matter right?

Yes - a distribution has it's own packaging policy - naming conventions,
file locations, configuration tools, etc.  Also if distributions have
differing library versions requires wi

Mixing binary RPM's between distributions is bad - DO NOT DO THIS!!!

As mentioned by Ken, rebuilding a srpm for your distribution is one
option.  Otherwise look for third party repositories for your
distribution (arch, vendor and release matter) that may provide the
package.

Paul