Re: upgrading numerous packages

The pre-requisites could be different for different OSes. Plus architecture matters, architecture basically corresponds to the underlying hardware that you would be running a RPM's delivered binaries or libraries. One can certainly download source RPMs and compile them for various OSes and underlying hardware architecture that it's going to run. This is a general idea from my side.

Ken Failbus

Vinay Venkataraghavan wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I think the problem as Sean
said was that I was trying to upgrade using the -U
option rather than just install it.

I have one other question. Does the distribution an
rpm comes from matter. For instance if I have an rpm
that is available from Conectiva, can I use it on Red
hat. It seems to me that only the architecture would
matter right?

Thanks,
Vinay

--- Sean Sosik-Hamor <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 24, 2005, at 06:33 PM, Wichmann, Mats D