RE: A problem involving complex packaging of DSOs...

>>Without providing an answer to your more complex
>>"conditional dependency" problem, you might consider
>>letting the FHS guide you on placement of files...
>>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/:
>>
>>----
>>/opt : Add-on application software packages
>>
>>Purpose
>>
>>/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
>>packages.
>>

>Yes, it but it doesn't say that applications should or must be
>installed on /opt, as far as I can tell. And it also says

It really does try to say that.  It uses the terminology
add-on software as distinguished from distribution provided
application packages.

>Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib.

I think this is intended to apply to distribution provided
applications (as opposed to "add-on" software), and is documented
this way because elsewhere it says you can't create a subdirectory
directly under /usr; but you're right this isn't terribly clearly
stated.

>I've always thought that it makes most sense to let rpm = the native
>package manager on the system install to /usr, and reserve /opt for
>other types of installation. Also, I think the standard may be
>interpreted as saying that rpms depending on others whose data
>reside on /usr (or generally rpms that depend on each other, really)
>should *not* install to /opt.

Hmmm.