Re: A problem involving complex packaging of DSOs...

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

So far so good. But for certain technical and political [ ... ]

Without providing an answer to your more complex "conditional dependency" problem, you might consider
letting the FHS guide you on placement of files...
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/:

----
/opt : Add-on application software packages

Purpose

/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
packages.
Yes, it but it doesn't say that applications should or must be installed on /opt, as far as I can tell. And it also says

Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib.

I've always thought that it makes most sense to let rpm = the native package manager on the system install to /usr, and reserve /opt for other types of installation. Also, I think the standard may be interpreted as saying that rpms depending on others whose data reside on /usr (or generally rpms that depend on each other, really) should *not* install to /opt.

- Toralf