Re: relocatable packages, embedded paths, and verification

Le vendredi 15 avril 2005 Ã 15:34 -0700, Daniel Kegel a Ãcrit :
> This has been discussed before,
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2002-July/msg00063.html
> but I think Jeff dismissed the idea too quickly back then.
>
> Consider a package that contains embedded paths
> to its installation prefix so the installed binaries
> can find each other.
>
> After the nausea wears off, consider making this package relocatable.
> Easy: just have the %post scriptlet rewrite the embedded paths.
> (I have a little app to do just that, and can include it.)
>
> Holding your nose against the odor, now consider
> trying to verify such a package.
> You'd need to use the %verify directive to disable md5 checksum
> verification for the files containing the embedded paths,
> and maybe include a custom md5 checker for the files
> containing embedded paths, to be verified itself by rpm,
> and to be invoked during %verifyscript.
>
> So there y'go: a totally safe way to modify files and still
> have them verify.
>
> OK, shoot holes in it :-)

Then consider another package that rely on the first one, and because
you made your first one relocatable needs to be taught where you
relocated it.

Of course this other package may be relocated somewhere else too.

Consider making a relocation database to track all the changes. Consider
recovering the system when this database gets corrupted. Consider how
writing documentation and specifying sane disk allocation when
everything is made variable. Consider how shared network mount paths fit
in there. Consider the fun it'll be to rewrite paths hidden in various
binary formats in scriptlets. Consider that a file may contain paths
owned by different packages, and you'll need to order your rewriting
scriptlets so they won't stomp on each other.

Now when you've stopped considering, add up the time you spent on this,
and the time you might have spent fixing the app so it conformed to the
bloody FH Standard. If you think it is worth it, I have some prime
real-estate on the moon to sell you.

--
Nicolas Mailhot