relocatable packages, embedded paths, and verification

This has been discussed before,
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2002-July/msg00063.html
but I think Jeff dismissed the idea too quickly back then.

Consider a package that contains embedded paths
to its installation prefix so the installed binaries
can find each other.

After the nausea wears off, consider making this package relocatable.
Easy: just have the %post scriptlet rewrite the embedded paths.
(I have a little app to do just that, and can include it.)

Holding your nose against the odor, now consider
trying to verify such a package.
You'd need to use the %verify directive to disable md5 checksum
verification for the files containing the embedded paths,
and maybe include a custom md5 checker for the files
containing embedded paths, to be verified itself by rpm,
and to be invoked during %verifyscript.

So there y'go: a totally safe way to modify files and still
have them verify.

OK, shoot holes in it :-)

- Dan