transaction locking appears to wedge relocation

We like to distribute our software packages using RPM, but some of our users cannot install RPMs are root. For these cases, we have resorted to relocating the RPMs (as a non-root user). So we do something like:

    bash$ tar -C /var/lib -cf rpm | tar xf -
    bash$ rpm --dbpath `pwd`/rpm --prefix `pwd` -i *.rpm

In general, aside from a few details, this has worked well. However, it seems as though this is now broken by the transaction system introduced with RPM 4.3.*. Looking at rpmlock.c it looks like there is no way to direct RPM to look anywhere besides /var/lock/rpm/transaction.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I would have certainly expected this to have arisen before now.

Could anyone suggest how I can allow ordinary users to install RPMs with RPM 4.3.*?

thanks very much,
Darrell Schiebel
drs@xxxxxxxx
National Radio Astronomy Observatory