dependency problem with installation upgrade

I just installed RH Enterprise Linux v 3 WS AMD64 from CD. There were updates beyond count, so I let up2date deal with it. It came back with the following dependency errors:

rpm-libs 4.2.3-13    requires libelf.so.1
rpm-libs 4.2.3-13    requires libelf.so.1(ELFUTILS_1.0)

So, I started upgrading stuff by selecting a number of packages then allowing up2date to update only those packages. After a while I found that the popt package generated the dependency message shown above. I also found that the rpm-build-*, rpm-devel-* and rpm-python-* packages also caused the same dependency message to be displayed.

I'm not certain what to do. Does this mean libelf isn't installed or that it cannot be found in the subscribed channel?

 Shane