Re: The explanation of epoch in Maximum RPM...

Michael Jennings wrote:

On Monday, 28 February 2005, at 13:09:11 (+0100),
Toralf Lund wrote:

Then how on Earth do you put everything right, if for some reason
someone has chosen the wrong versioning scheme for earlier releases?

By doing it right, forcing people to manually upgrade whilst directing [ ... ]

If they released a package with a version number like that, yes. It's
called "Natural Selection." Perhaps you're familiar with it.... :-)

What I'm trying to say is just that Maximum RPM misses the point somewhat when it talks about versioning schemes that require epoch updates on every release, and concludes based on this that epoch is bad. Yes, such versioning is bad, but the way I've always seen it, the scenario in question was not the one the epoch mechanism was designed for. I've assumed EPOCH is just intended as a "more major" version than VERSION, i.e. a value you increment if, and only if, you change the versioning scheme.

- Toralf