Re: Rpm and Code Developer

On Thursday, 13 January 2005, at 08:00:02 (-0600),
Tom Browder wrote:

> I've read Maximum RPM fairly closely, but I haven't found an example
> of someone using rpm as a source developer (i.e., the packager is
> the source developer, too).  The examples assume the "pristine"
> source is in an archive somewhere and can be placed in the SOURCES
> directory.

I am the RPM packager for every single project I work on (Eterm,
libast, Mezzanine, and pretty much all of Enlightenment and related
projects).

> Can someone point to an example of a source tree that produces a
> binary source rpm (in its development directory) as part of its
> ordinary build?

RPM's are not made as part of the ordinary build because this is not
expected behavior.  In fact, generating a distribution tarball as part
of normal "make" is not expected behavior either.

However, given the sources, you can simply run "make dist" to create
the tarball.  Then build binary and source RPM's with this command:

rpmbuild -ba --define "_sourcedir $PWD" --define "_specdir $PWD" \
    --define "_rpmdir $PWD" --define "_srcrpmdir $PWD" <specfile>

(Or, if you have mezzanine installed, just run "mzbuild")

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@xxxxxxxxx>