Rpm and Code Developer

I've read Maximum RPM fairly closely, but I haven't found an example of
someone using rpm as a source developer (i.e., the packager is the source
developer, too).  The examples assume the "pristine" source is in an archive
somewhere and can be placed in the SOURCES directory.

Can someone point to an example of a source tree that produces a binary
source rpm (in its development directory) as part of its ordinary build?

Thanks.

Tom Browder