Re: Package name conflict

In article <1103543242l.20171l.1l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael A. Peters
wrote:

> Following up my last e-mail, this should work -

> Source0: http://www.nothingisreal.com/gpp/%{tarballname}-%
> {version}.tar.bz2
> BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root
> Prefix: %{_prefix}
>
> %description
> GPP is a general-purpose preprocessor with customizable syntax,
> suitable for a wide range of preprocessing tasks. Its independence
> from any one programming language makes it much more versatile than
> the C preprocessor (cpp), while its syntax is lighter and more
> flexible than that of GNU m4. There are built-in macros for use with
> C/C++, LaTeX, HTML, XHTML, and Prolog files.
>
> %prep
> %setup -q -n %{tarballname}-%{version}

I'm not so sure about this -- making the internal package name and tarball
name different is likely to confuse a lot of users.  For example, the
package documentation is installed under /usr/share/doc/packages/genpp,
which is not what people will be expecting from a program named gpp which
comes in an RPM named gpp-2.24-1.rpm and installs a binary named gpp.
Also, users will have to use rpm --install gpp* to install the package,
but rpm --erase genpp to uninstall it.

Perhaps there's no good solution to this problem except for renaming both
the package name and the tarball name to genpp, and possibly also making
the install script add a symbol link from /usr/bin/genpp to /usr/bin/gpp
to prevent confusion and maintain compatibility with previous versions.

Suggestions?

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited