Package name conflict

Greetings.

I am the maintainer of a popular preprocessor known as gpp, which has been
around for several years now.  The package was previously offered only as
source, but I recently created an RPM.

A problem I am running up against is that it seems that gpp was also the
name of another, now-obsolete program from the GNU compiler package.  GNU
gpp has been superseded by the GNU gcc-c++ RPM.  The problem is that the
rpm program (and associated programs such as apt4rpm) do not distinguish
between my gpp and GNU's gpp, so I end up with dependency errors such as
the following when my gpp is installed:

[root@port-3108:/usr/src/packages/RPMS/i386]# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  gcc-c++: Obsoletes: gpp
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Is there anything I can do to avoid or circumvent this problem?  Renaming
my program is not a very good option, as countless gpp have already
written shell scripts and makefiles which invoke gpp.  Is there some
change I can make to my spec file, or some change I can recommend users
make to their rpm or apt4rpm configuration files?

If anyone needs to see my spec file, it's available in the gpp source RPM
at <http://www.nothingisreal.com/gpp/>.

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited