RPM command's extreme options.

Hello to all.

I recently created a very simple simple utility to get information on RPM
packages .

You pass a package file name and (it doesn't even read the package, just the
package file name) it tells you the name, the version, release and
architecture. It also compares two package names to see wich one is newer.

My question is: I fear that this is already available with the rpm command using
some strange syntax and heavy use of macros. Are there any such params for the
rpm command?

The functions I want are basically comparing versions, releases, names, and all
that could be relevant.

Any pointers to information isreally appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Rodrigo Madera