Re: RPM command's extreme options.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 06:00:45AM -0500, madera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> You pass a package file name and (it doesn't even read the package, just the
> package file name) it tells you the name, the version, release and
> architecture. It also compares two package names to see wich one is newer.

The package file name is just a convention, so for a 100% reliable
answer you have to read the package header *in* the file.

Look at rpm --querytags and rpm --queryformat and you can retrieve all
information from a rpm package that you ever want to know.

> My question is: I fear that this is already available with the rpm command using
> some strange syntax and heavy use of macros. Are there any such params for the
> rpm command?

Yes, see above, but not from the filename (that's a Perl one-liner, b.t.w.).

> The functions I want are basically comparing versions, releases, names, and all
> that could be relevant.

Version/release comparison is a separate issue.  I'm not sure if the
algorithm that rpm uses is "callable" from the rpm command, I guess
it's available from the rpm library API.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>