Re: install same pkg multiple times with different --prefix on same host?

--- No Spam <nospam420@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- Hal Wine <hal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> although even with two different versions of package installed, it
> might still be potentially error prone.  i'd want it to fail on an
> erase or update operation that didn't specify the version, rather
> than
> unpredictably operate on one or the other installations.  but i'm not
> sure whether or not that's the case.  i'll look into that.

it does the right thing.  i can install multiple times as long as the
version is different, and if i try to erase without specifying the
version number, it properly complains that there are multiple packages:

[root@frijole0 root]# rpm -q wmtestpkg1
wmtestpkg1-1.0-1
wmtestpkg1-2.0-1
[root@frijole0 root]# rpm -e wmtestpkg1
error: "wmtestpkg1" specifies multiple packages

at which point the answer is to either erase with the version number,
or  it could be forced with --allmatches.

> > rpm -e package-3.0-1
>
> but this wouldn't work if you had installed package-3.0-1 to two
> separate locations via two different uses of --prefix with rpm -i.
> maybe the answer to that ought to be simply "don't do that", and
> indeed
> i think you probably need to force it with --replacepkgs to get it to
> work.

i think i'm willing to live with this restriction.  to install multiple
times, you have to have different versions.  i hadn't thought of that,
and my initial tests were trying the same identically built package.

thanks hal.

so i can actually get this to work on both redhat and solaris.  i
wonder if i can somehow get debian to work now...

- rich fromm