RE: install same pkg multiple times with different --prefix on same host?

>> So, the following should work (untested):
>> 1. go grab rpmrebuild from rpmrebuild.sf.net
>> 2. write a wrapper script for your installations that:
>>    - for each install location:
>>      - used rpmrebuild to rebuild the "real" rpm
>>      - use the filter option to allow you to mangle the spec
>>        file on the fly
>>      - append something to the release number representing the
--prefix
>>         e.g. pkg-1.0-3_opt_foo1
>>      - now install the freshly repackaged rpms using '-ivh'
>>
>> RPM will think they are all different packages, and be happy. So will
>> you.

Or if you know at build time all of the separate locations that you will
install to you can use the ability to create multiple packages at the
same time.  Normally this is used to split a program into smaller
specific chunks (ala zlib and zlib-devel) or to group related and
interdependent programs together (ala tcltk).
I haven't tested exactly this but you should be able to build multiple
packages with something on the order of just doing an echo for all but
the first instances build and then install each instance into the
location you need a package for (e.g. /opf/foo and /opt/bar).  This is
some additional work but it can simplify the maintenance of a shared
filesystem that needs multiple instances of the same package.

--
Rik -