Re: archived rpm includes all errata alerts

On 12/10/2004 08:47:13 AM, Stephen Walton wrote:
On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 11:20 -0500, Wan, Brian wrote:
> I wonder if there is completed archived rpm files that I can
download on
> redhat network or elsewhere.  For example, a tarball that has all
the
> up to date redhat errata security and bug fix rpm files.

The need for something like this is a big part of the reason I and
others subscribe to KRUD Linux (http://www.tummy.com/krud). It is a
Fedora-based distribution, but for the subscription ($100/yr) you get
CD set each month with all the latest RPMS. The upshot being that, if
you install from the latest CD set, your system is almost completely
up
to date without spending hours downloading patches. It would be nice
if
RedHat had something similar for RHEL.

I roll my own update DVD.
I found a mirror that syncs once a day at 1 AM.
I use lftp to sync with that mirror at about 5 AM daily (crontab)
My script that update my local mirror then creates a DVD iso image of all the updates, along with an autorun script that uses yum to apply all updates to the operating system.

So when I need to do an install of Fedora, I simply burn my custom update DVD, and after installing, insert the DVD into new machine and run the autorun script. Often that's all she wrote, new system is patched. Sometimes there's there's been a few updates since the mirror I used did it's daily sync.

My scripts on my update DVD for fc3 -

http://mpeters.us/linux/autorun.txt
http://mpeters.us/linux/update_system.txt

tip -

If you want to do this to keep your own update DVD iso in sync, use a mirror that syncs with fedora.us - they don't sync the debug packages, so you don't have to bother excluding that in your mirror script (debuginfo packages are only needed when you are filing a bug report and the developer asks for output with them installed)