Odd buildroot problems

Hello All,

I'm having problems building a package using the buildroot feature.
This package successfully builds when not using buildroot.  When I try
to build it using buildroot however, the brp-compress portion takes
longer to execute than when not using buildroot, and then the install
process complains that it cannot find any of the files.  When I inspect
the physical buildroot directory (/tmp/install in this case), RPM has
gzipped every single file, which is why it cant find anything
afterwords.  Why is it doing this and how can I fix it?

The source I'm trying to package is man-pages-1.70.tar.gz. I'm rolling
this RPM from scratch.  I have changed the source Makefile to use the
ROOT environment variable if set.  I've attached to this email a gzipped
text file with my spec file and the outputs from both successful and
unsuccessful builds (unsuccessful using the buildroot feature).

Thanks in advance for any insight or help or smacks upside the head
anyone could offer.  This one has got me stymied! :-)

Kindest Regards,
Bill
--
William Knechtel <wknechtel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>