Re: install same pkg multiple times with different --prefix on same host?

--- No Spam <nospam420@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My original message asserted that I thought that Debian could do this
> with dpkg.  I've started to look into that a bit, however, and I
> think
> it has the same limitations as rpm.  (Next I'm looking into whether
> Solaris pkgadd can handle this.)
>
> > BTW, what command would you envision using to remove a specific
> > instance of your package?
> >
> >     ? rpm -e package
> >
> >     ? rpm -e --prefix=/opt/foo2 package
>
> Exactly.  'rpm -e' with no --prefix would only remove something
> installed at its original place, and 'rpm -e --prefix' would remove
> only something for which the prefix matched.

This might be a little off-topic, considering this is an rpm list, but
I thought I might as well report my results for completeness.

I now believe that both rpm and dpkg have similar limitations and can't
do what I want them to do.

Solaris, however, can.  If you install a package with 'pkgadd -R
/opt/foo1', to query any info about that package you have to then use
'pkginfo -R /opt/foo1' and to remove that package you have to use
'pkgrm -R /opt/foo1'.  If you simply use pkginfo or pkgrm without the
-R option, it is as if that package is not installed.  And you can at
the same time add the package again at 'pkgadd -R /opt/foo2', and
through the -R option, subsequent pkginfo and pkgrm operations know
which package installation you're talking about.  pkgadd will even
prompt you to create the new root directory for you if it doesn't
already exist.

The one piece that I haven't yet looked into is what would happen if my
new package depended on some other package that was installed on the
system, but in a different root directory (like the usual '/').  But
I'm probably not going to bother with looking into that, since it looks
like if I want to maintain cross platform compatability between redhat,
debian, and solaris, that I need to either abandon the requirement to
have multiple instances of the same software be able to be installed,
or abandon the plan to use the OS-specific packaging systems to install
the software.

- Rich