Re: install same pkg multiple times with different --prefix on same host?

--- Robert Lehr <bozzio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 05:15:17PM -0800, No Spam wrote:
> >
> > is there any solution to this?  does rpm have a means by which it
can be aware
> > of two (non-conflicting) installations of the same package
(possibly different
> > versions, which is the reason i'm exploring this) on the same
machine?  i'm
> > guessing the answer is probably no.
> >

> I am pretty sure that RPM cannot do this.  RPM packages are key
> strictly by the name of the package.  You are asking for packages to
> be additionally identified by additional parameters, the 'prefix' in
> your case.  Given the RPM's other foibles, it probably cannot do this
> either.

My original message asserted that I thought that Debian could do this
with dpkg.  I've started to look into that a bit, however, and I think
it has the same limitations as rpm.  (Next I'm looking into whether
Solaris pkgadd can handle this.)

> BTW, what command would you envision using to remove a specific
> instance of your package?
>
>     ? rpm -e package
>
>     ? rpm -e --prefix=/opt/foo2 package

Exactly.  'rpm -e' with no --prefix would only remove something
installed at its original place, and 'rpm -e --prefix' would remove
only something for which the prefix matched.  But that could create a
somewhat awkward situation in general.  For me, if I had two versions
installed, one at /opt/foo1 and one at /opt/foo2, that's a reasonable
expectation of how things ought to work.  But if you only have one
version installed, and you don't remember if it was installed with
--prefix or not, I could see having to require you to match that
parameter (or the lack of it) just to remove the single instance of the
package would be a bit annoying.  I suppose one solution to this would
be having rpm prompt the user for which package to remove, but having
any kind of interactivity with the user seems to be against the
philosophy of rpm (which I'm finding annoying for other reasons).
Anyway, this is all speculating as to what I might want the behavior to
be, but it appears that that's just not what the behavior is.

- Rich