Problem modifying and recompiling the rpm RPM-package

I've run into the following problem:

I want to change the normal /usr/src/redhat path to something else (we
are maintaining a distribution which is based on the Fedora 1).
Installing the rpm src-package, untarring the tar.gz and making two
source-trees on which the other is the changed and from these we make a
patch-file which we add to a modified spec-file. This, I believe, is the
proper way to make a modified RPM-package.

Now our changes touch several .in-files as well and what we observed was
that the buildsystem behaves differentially when these files becomes
touched. The result was in effect that no .so-files were created which
caused a failure in a later stage.

As I mentioned we operate on a FC1 based system, but I did try the
following also on a 'pure' FC1 as well as FC3 installation:
1. Install the rpm src-package
2. Unpack the tar.bz
3. Use the touch-command on any of the .in-files
4. Repack the source-dir to tar.bz2 (I just did this to keep the
   original around)
5. Change the Source-line in the spec-file to point to the tar.bz2
6. Run rpmbuild -ba rpm.spec

The result was the same. No .so which caused the build to fail at a
later point.

We then tried another aproach (on the modified FC1):
1. Unpack the tar.gz
2. make all the necessary changes so that all paths point to our build
   directory instead of usr/src/redhat
3. Run './autogen.sh --noconfigure' as the INSTALL file suggests
4. Repackage the sourcedir as rpm-4.2.1.tar.bz2
5. Run rpmbuild -ba rpm.spec (which now points to the tar.bz2 on the
   Source:-line)

This fails on a different case, where the ld complains:

libtool: link: `mut_pthread.lo' is not a valid libtool object

Has anybody else come over this problem and if so found a fix for this?
We currently only patch the configure-file, but this creates a package
where part of the program believes the buildtree to be
in /usr/src/redhat while other uses the modified path (from the
configure).

TIA

Poltsi

--