Re: two crazy things I want to do with rpm: repetition, and "IsRequiredBy"

Hello.

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:50 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 04:23:24PM +0000, Richard Dawe wrote:
> > This isn't really an answer to your question, just an alternative way of
> > doing this:
> > Have you thought about packaging the kernel module to use dkms? This
> > will build the module against the current kernel automatically. It only
> > does it as necessary. pptpclient <http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/>
>
> It's on my List of Things to Check Out. However, I don't want all of the
> systems we're deploying OpenAFS on to need to have a full kernel build
> toolchain installed, and also, many of them are quite slow and this ain't a
> small/fast module to build. Plus, many things in OpenAFS are very strange.

Fair enough.

You could also look at FUSE. Search on Freshmeat <http://freshmeat.net>
for its home page. That ties the package version number to the kernel
version in a way that looked similar to what you want, I think. I think
it has the kernel version in the release field, which seems a bit clunky
to me.

Regards,

--
Richard Dawe