two crazy things I want to do with rpm: repetition, and "IsRequiredBy"

I've created some RPM packages for OpenAFS, which involves a bunch of
libraries and commands and so on, some configuration, and a kernel module.

Right now, I have an 'openafs-client' package which includes the kernel
modules for all of the kernels I build against. (Currently, the source package
actually contains copies of each required version of the kernel headers -- I
heard a rumor of a switch to having 'kernel-devel' packages, which would
remove this need. Anyway....) It would be nicer, however, to put each kernel
module in its own subpackage -- openafs-kernel-2.6.9.1-1.3.74-1, or
something.

So, question one: I'd _like_ to generate multiple kernel subpackages based
on a list of numbers, without copying and pasting over and over and in one
simple invocation of rpmbuild -ba. Is there a clever trick for doing this?

Also, the current scheme doesn't actually use RPM dependencies at all for
the kernel module -- it just happens to all work if you have a new enough
version of the openafs-client for the kernel you've got installed.

If I have separate kernel module packages, I would like to be able to
express:

   If you have openafs-v.v.v-r.r installed, and you have kernel-x.x.x-y.y,
   openafs-kernel-x.x.x-y.y-v.v.v-r.r is required.

   If you don't have openafs installed, no openafs-kernel packages are
   needed.

Ideally, without changing the kernel package at all. And, if another,
different-versioned kernel is installed, openafs-kernel packages which don't
match should ignore it and hope a version which does match exists. (If there
isn't an openafs-kernel package which provides the needed module, there
should be an error, and dependency solvers would be able to go out and find
what is missing.)

Any suggestions? I _know_ some of you are more clever than me. Or perhaps
even better, not so clever and more wise. :)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>