Re: apparent circular dependency

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 09:04:19AM +0100, Diana Bosio wrote:
> >Err, yes it does.
> No, it does not, /bin/sh and /bin/bash are files written by the bash rpm,
> but they are not in the provides tag, as you probably already know.

Sure. But packages provide their contents. That's why --whatprovides
matches, as I showed you:

> >$ rpm -q --whatprovides /bin/bash
> >bash-2.05b-38

[lots of other things deleted, because as I got to the end of your message,
I realized that this is the crux of the issue:]

> >Simple -- circular dependencies aren't bugs.
> Just out of curiosity: how does rpm installs the bash rpm if it needs bash
> to install rpms? Or does it need only some kind of basic shell? And in any
> case how that basic shell gets installed on the system?
> Can rpm install itself?

"Requires" doesn't imply that it needs to be installed _first_.

Have you read /usr/share/doc/rpm-*/dependencies and
/usr/share/doc/rpm-*/tsort? That might clear some things up for you.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>