Re: apparent circular dependency

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 09:15:09AM +0100, Diana Bosio wrote:
> If it really sounds logical to you, then probably you might be able to
> solve this problem: in a village where the only barber available shaves
> only men that are not able to shave themselves, who shaves the barber?

Uh, clearly some men, hopefully including the barber _are_ able to shave
themselves. Setting up strawmen doesn't help.

> bash does not provide /bin/sh nor /bin/bash, at least not on my system, as
> you can see below. We can maybe start making a case for the config(*) line,

Err, yes it does.

$ rpm -q --whatprovides /bin/bash
bash-2.05b-38

I don't believe --provides gives you files. Do this instead:
`rpm -ql --provides bash`.

> I am not sure. In any case it might be valid and predictable for you and
> concerning bash, but I have a plethora of rpms providing and requiring the
> same library, and it is not a system library that they might require in a
> post install script, but simply a wrong way of building the rpm...

You're making a weird circular argument. First you say that bash is a
special case and there's nothing else like it, and then you say that there's
lots of other examples, but that they are -- by your original argument, all
wrong.

> Once again, how do I distinguish from a circular dependency that is "not at
> all confusing and quite logical" (according to you) and a bug that I have
> to report?

Simple -- circular dependencies aren't bugs.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>