Re: apparent circular dependency

rpm-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Subject: Re: apparent circular dependency From: Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:11:57 -0500 To: RPM Package Manager <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 10:23:13AM -0500, Robert Lehr wrote:

Yes, this is not an issue.  However, its harmlessness is simply a side
effect of this particular case.  I consider this to be an instance of
a egregious problem with RPM,, that is its ability to establish
circular dependencies within groups of RPMs.

What's the problem? RPM can handle the situation fine, and sometimes it's a
representation of actual reality.

The problem is that for instance I am writing a script to check if our developer s specify the dependecies corectly when they build the rpms, in order to do this my script needs to calculate a list of packages in order of dependencies and the circular dependencies that happen for some packages make my script go in an infinite loop. I can of course grep out a dependency on self from an rpm but how do I know if it is an RPM artefact or an error from a developer that has caused the circular dependency? RPM might handle the situation fine but it is not the only program that uses the RPM dependencies...

And in any case having an rpm requiring and providing the very same file is not logical and very confusing, it sounds like a hack, and an ugly one at that.

Cheers,

Diana
--
CERN, European Organization for Nuclear Research
IT Department, Grid Middleware