/var/lib/rpm oops!

Hi guys!

I was playing around on a new system with the files in the /var/lib/rpm directory because my disk got full and somehow that corrupted my rpm database. I moved the directory so to have a backup in case things got ugly. Well, the did! And when I tried to recover that directory to it's original name, I screwed up. I deleted the backup directory and moved the newly created useless one. Now I can't use the rpm utility anymore. Is there a way to recover the contents of this directory? (or is my only option to wipe the machine clean and re-install?) I would much prefer having a way to recover without re-installing!

TIA

Martin Duclos