Re: Recover a rpm file after installation

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 10:45 +0200, Hoang-Vu PHUNG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once you installed a rpm file, is it possible to
> recover the file if the later was removed. I think
> about this in the perspective of getting out rpm files
> from a running linux system for backup.

CASE 1: Please explain your needs more clearly:

Reconstructing a broken system:

1) Install foo.rpm which contains /usr/bin/foo
2) an accidental rm /usr/bin/foo
3) you want to recover /usr/bin/foo

rpm -V will tell you what is missing/changed across the system or in a
package - rpm -V foo

CASE 2: Recovering a lost binary rpm file:

1) Install foo.rpm - rpm -ivh foo.rpm
2) delete foo.rpm package - rm foo.rpm
3) system continues - config changes are made, etc
4) you wish to get foo.rpm back

As mentioned in other thread fork you can build an rpm from the system
using rpmrebuild or rpm --repackage however there are caveats - the
system will be taken  as is - config will not be the initial state
necessarily.

CASE 3: Recover a erroneously erased package

1) Install foo.rpm
2) Erase foo when you meant to erase fop - rpm -e foo (OOPS!)
3) Wish to reinstall foo - but you don't know what version you havee

check /var/log/rpmpkgs for version of foo - then install from your rpm
repository.

If you explain more what you are trying to achieve clearer answers can
be given - probably you want to have a local repository and use a
depsolver rather than do the rebuild/repackaging.

Paul