Re: how to avoid replacing config files?

Alexei Snisarenko wrote, On 06-09-2004 17:32:
Hello,

is there a way to make rpm not remove config files during package upgrade?
For example, I marked some foo file as configuration (%config foo). When
> I upgrade my package the foo on the target system is moved to foo.rpmsave
> and the foo from package is placed instead of the foo on the target system.

What I want is that foo from package would be put as foo.new and foo on
> target system remain unchanged. Or, possibly, foo on target system and foo
> from package would be merged and result put instead of foo on target system.

Is it possible to do this with rpm tools? Or I have to write some postinstall
> script which will do this?

Use "%config(noreplace) foo".

On another note:
Is there a similar option to %config that also leaves the file in
place upon uninstall, e.g "%config(preserve)"?

-- Lars