how to avoid replacing config files?

Hello,

is there a way to make rpm not remove config files during package upgrade?
For example, I marked some foo file as configuration (%config foo). When I upgrade my package the foo on the target system is moved to foo.rpmsave and the foo from package is placed instead of the foo on the target system.

What I want is that foo from package would be put as foo.new and foo on target system remain unchanged. Or, possibly, foo on target system and foo from package would be merged and result put instead of foo on target system.

Is it possible to do this with rpm tools? Or I have to write some postinstall script which will do this?

Thank you.
Alexei.