Re: rpmdatabse error in installation

Continued from the previous message..

but again when i unistall it from the above machine in the following
ways
> these errors are found:
> [garima@pc33 garima]$ rpm -e optex-1.0-1.i386.rpm
> error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted
(1)
> error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
> [garima@pc33 garima]$ rpm -e --dbpath $HOME/rpmdb optex-1.0-1.i386.rpm
> error: package optex-1.0-1.i386.rpm is not installed
>
> what i interpret from above errors is that database entry for the rpm
was
> made in the /var/lib/rpm databse not in $HOME/rpmdb . but at the
> installation time it could be easily installed.
>
> what do u say about this.i dont no why so many problems are coming.plz
help!!

It is quite surprising and confusing. When I try to remove a package
while running as non-root, I get:

  $ rpm -e xorg-x11-doc
  error: can't create transaction lock

which is different from your message:
  error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages

My result comes from a function in rpm that tries to open
"/var/lock/rpm/transaction" for read-write, and failing that, opens it
for read. If that too fails, the error message follows.

Your message indicates that your instance of rpm has been allowed to
open /var/lib/rpm/Packages for read-write. To be completely exact, the
code snippet in rpm does not show how the file is opened, but the
fcntl() call should fail with EBADF if it is not open for write.

EBADF = "Bad file descriptor".

I do interpret, as you, that the message "is not installed" means rpm
was able to process the database with no problems. So, -- Hey, look at
that!

> [garima@pc33 garima]$ rpm -e --dbpath $HOME/rpmdb optex-1.0-1.i386.rpm
                                                               ^^^^^^^^^
Rpm -e requires a package name, not a file name! With or without
version-release, but without arch and .rpm.

So, the package may well have been installed in the $HOME/rpmdb.

But I am a bit confused, you said it installed with no problems, that
must mean you are referring to that machine, not the one you "really
want to".

OK, "the above machine", as you said above refers to the machine where
the install was smooth. I think I am back on track. Most likely the
smooth machine is still smooth, you can uninstall with no problem.

But the snippet

> [garima@pc33 garima]$ rpm -e optex-1.0-1.i386.rpm
> error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted
(1)
> error: cannot open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Was that on the same machine? You are seeing the same problem on the
"smooth" machine too?

Even if you also here have .i386.rpm, rpm never got as far as to look up
the erroneous package name. It has opened the file, and failed to get a
lock.

"Operation not permitted" = EPERM.

The error code is different from the code you got in get-lock-owner.

continues in a third message...
-Enrique