Re: rpmdatabse error in installation

I am breaking this message in two because the rpm list has a limit of
4kb per message.

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 08:30, garima@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> but this program is giving the following message on the machine i want
> install:
>
> Unable to get file lock information on
> /users/extra/plusers/rpmdb/Packages: Permission denied.

"Permission denied" = EACCES.

I have tried to hunt down where the EACCES error code is set in the
kernel, but have not found it. That is, it appears that the ext2 and
ext3 files systems do not specify any filesystem specific lock behavior,
and then the fcntl(.. F_GETLK, ..) call does not return EACCES. Two
possibilities remain, that your system runs a different kernel, or the
file resides on a different file system.

On the hypothesis that EACCES could be set if the process owning the
lock belongs to a different user, I wrote a program to lock a file for
ten seconds, ran it as root, and tried the get-lock-owner as myself. It
reported the process id of the root-owned process.

I am running under linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3, and the file I tested with
resides on an ext3 file system. The kernel code I read is for
linux-2.6.7-1.494.2.2.

rpm-4.3.1-0.3, Fedora core 2.

continued...
-Enrique