Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

<snip>
What you need to know about is the undocumented %_netsharedpath macro
defined in /usr/lib/rpm/macros:

	#       A colon separated list of paths where files should *not* be installed.
	#       Usually, these are network file system mount points.
	#
	#%_netsharedpath

Basically, you set this on your NFS clients (can set it in your own
/etc/rpm/macros file), to the directory/directories where you have
software installed via an NFS mount, and then you actually install the
software on each of the clients.  What happens is that rpm will not
deliver any of the files that are in the %_netsharedpath.  This actually
is better than the double database ideas (though they still have uses)
because then software packages can easily deliver network server content
and client content.  As far as the pain of installing the package on
all the clients I suggest yum and your own yum repository.

Note, I have never tried this, but I have definately seen the code that
implements in rpm in my travels through the source, and it looks like it
should work.

Cheers...james