Re: Rpm freezing

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Erik Slagter wrote:

> > I tried to upgrade a bunch of packages with rpm.  The upgrade seemed to
> > freeze (wasn't doing anything, wasn't using CPU), so I killed the task.
> >
> > Now everytime I try to use rpm, it doesn't do anything.  I've tried to
> > rebuild the database (rpm --rebuilddb), but it still doesn't do anything
> > (just sits there).
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> I've had that on several occasions as well. It looks like rpm is waiting
> for a lock to go away.
>
> Anyway, my very un-scientific approach is to remove all __* file from
> /var/lib/rpm and then it works again. I don't know why ;-)

Well at least with rpm version 4.2 that shipped with RH9, this can be
caused by someone else doing a "rpm -qa" while an upgrade is occuring.
Seems to be more centered around the erase portion, but I don't know that
for sure.  BTW, such "rpm -qa" will occur daily at 4:02 in the morning
so either disable that /etc/cron.daily/rpm cron job, or don't do upgrades
aroudn 4:00 in the morning.

Cheers...james