Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

scarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandra Carney) writes:

> > The better answer is to have all of the machines use a common
> > NFS'ed root disk with a single RPM database and then the NFS
> > installed packages would just work.
>
> I went a little fast in my original message.  I forgot to mention
> that we had entertained just copying the database in /var/lib/rpm
> over to the NFS-one but then there is the synchronization problem.
> We also have a heterogeneous set of machines.  We have clinical
> machines and we have development machines and their respective
> rpm databases are going to look different.  We can do that as a
> stopgap measure but I was looking for ideas for a longer term
> solution.

Perhaps OpenPKG (http://www.openpkg.org) might solve your needs? RPM
based, works with a common set of RPMs (from the same src rpm) (even on different Oses or
version of an OS) and uses (if you want to) a common binary repository
of RPMs that may need installing.

Quite nice.

Regards,

Simon