Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sandra Carney <scarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 07/28/2004 04:13:28 PM asked:
>
> >   I have similar concerns.  Here is our problem.  We have packages that
> >   we want to install packages on NFS-mounted partitions.  If we install
> >   in the usual way, the rpm database in /var/lib/rpm gets updated.
> >   To make queries about this NFS-mounted package, you have to goto the
> >   machine on which the install took place to do the query because
> >   /var/lib/rpm is local.
> >
> >   What would be nice is to have an rpm database on an NFS-mounted
> >   partition and into which NFS installs would be reported.

... snip ...

> >      which is the same problem being discussed here.
> >
> >      Now, I could go ahead and create the virtual package.
> >      However, that information is alreay in the database
> >      in /var/lib/rpm and if the OS changes, they are now
> >      out of sync.
> >
> >      So what I propose is perhaps to have a datbase search path
> >      when it comes to dealing with these matters.  Maybe we have
> >      a site option that says this is the order in which you
> >      search the databases to find if something is provided.
> >
> >      How hard would this be?
>
> What I think you need to do is:
> 1/ make the NFS.
> 2/ Since the NFS installed apps are common to all machines,
>    you could? copy the RPM database files from one of those machines
>    into that NFS copy.
> 3/ Then when installing an RPM destined for the NFS, use the NFS database.
>
> This will work until you update something on the NFS copy that
> has a dependency on something you may have installed locally.
> Now your databases are inconsistent, and you sorta.. gotta.. start over
> again.
>
> The better answer is to have all of the machines use a common
> NFS'ed root disk with a single RPM database and then the NFS
> installed packages would just work.
I went a little fast in my original message.  I forgot to mention
that we had entertained just copying the database in /var/lib/rpm
over to the NFS-one but then there is the synchronization problem.
We also have a heterogeneous set of machines.  We have clinical
machines and we have development machines and their respective
rpm databases are going to look different.  We can do that as a
stopgap measure but I was looking for ideas for a longer term
solution.

Regards,
Sandra Carney