Re: How can I manually populate an RPM database

Sandra Carney <scarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 07/28/2004 04:13:28 PM asked:

>   I have similar concerns.  Here is our problem.  We have packages that
>   we want to install packages on NFS-mounted partitions.  If we install
>   in the usual way, the rpm database in /var/lib/rpm gets updated.
>   To make queries about this NFS-mounted package, you have to goto the
>   machine on which the install took place to do the query because
/var/lib/rpm
>   is local.
>
>   What would be nice is to have an rpm database on an NFS-mounted
partition
>   and into which NFS installs would be reported.

... snip ...

>      which is the same problem being discussed here.
>
>      Now, I could go ahead and create the virtual package.  However, that
information
>      is alreay in the database in /var/lib/rpm and if the OS changes,
they are now
>      out of sync.
>
>      So what I propose is perhaps to have a datbase search path when it
comes to
>      dealing with these matters.  Maybe we have a site option that says
this
>      is the order in which you search the databases to find if something
is
>      provided.
>
>      How hard would this be?

What I think you need to do is:
1/ make the NFS.
2/ Since the NFS installed apps are common to all machines,
   you could? copy the RPM database files from one of those machines
   into that NFS copy.
3/ Then when installing an RPM destined for the NFS, use the NFS database.

This will work until you update something on the NFS copy that
has a dependency on something you may have installed locally.
Now your databases are inconsistent, and you sorta.. gotta.. start over
again.

The better answer is to have all of the machines use a common
NFS'ed root disk with a single RPM database and then the NFS
installed packages would just work.