Re: X host -client without X server present on machine.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, John Chatelle wrote:

> I'm looking to install a minimal X - Host Client  that X servers may
> connect to that doesn't itself have an X server, XDM, or window manager
> installed.

Something about the terminology:

An X client is the program that generates the content of a window. The
client connects to an X server for the actual display. The X server
creates the X display you see.

A window manager is a process that tells the X server where to display the
various windows that X clients ask the server to display. It also normally
adds the window decorations: the "frame" of the window. THere can be at
most one window manager per X server, but one is not required. Try running
something like:

  xinit /usr/X11Rb/bin/xterm
  xinit /usr/X11Rb/bin/xterm -- :1 # give an explicit display number, if
                                   # there is already an existing display

as a normal user, or even simply:

  X :1

as root

XDM is literrally a "display manager", but
a better description would be "login program" (at least as far as the user
is concerened). It basically logs the user in and run an initial X client
process. But normally xinit/startx could be used to start an X server from
the command-line. In systems like Linux you can have multipe "local" X
servers, because there are multiple consoles (or more acurate: the console
is "multiplexed" to multiple virtual consoles).

If you already work in n X environment, Xnest would be useful. Xvnc of the
unix ports of VNC is an X sever that requires no acual display, but it
does not fully implement X and all of the standard extentions as well as
XFree/Xorg .

> It seems I would just need the Xlib and whatever X toolkit, such as
> LessTif.
>
> I can not seem to find the required RPM list for such a Client - Host
> installation; Everywhere I look I seem to find an X server in the mix,
> and xdm stuff that I don't currently need.
>
>  Aren't there X host-client installations out there that don't have a
> X-server on the application server?What RPM or RPM set is used for such
> an istallation?

No X server or no actual display?

--
Tzafrir Cohen