Re: Using RPM to evaluate installed RPMS while building

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Michael Honeyfield wrote:

> Ok,
>
> Might be a dumb question but I will ask all the same. Is it correct or
> incorrect to use rpm to evaluate installed packages to determine
> versions etc while building a package?
>
> Example:
>
> %define foobarver %(rpm -q foobar --qf '%{RPMTAG_VERSION}' | tail -1)
>
> Is this the best way? Or should I query the app directly like:
>
> foobar --version
>
> and trim the out put?

Depends on your tast IMHO.  If the underlying make file of the application
does not do autodetection itself, then querying rpm would be the right
thing to do, but if the app make file automatically does this sort of
detection, then it should probably not use RPM as that would tie its
sources to closly to RPM.  That said, others oppinions may differ, and
even be more correct (-;

Cheers...james