Re: Specifying soft links in RPM package

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 04:50:22PM -0500, Kamal Hussain wrote:

> I guess the answer is that there is no special flags required to denote
> a symlink. All files could go under %files block and during the package
> creation, RPM will determine which files are softlinks. This of course
> requires all the soft links to be created before building the package
> and it can be done either using %prep , %install directives or outside
> the RPM.

Yep.

> The approach is very different from that of SVR4.. I would say SVR4 is
> more advanced in this aspect because you can specify softlinks without
> creating them during the packaging phase..

This is a matter of taste, IMHO.  You also have to create the "real"
files, so I don't see a real advantage of specifying devices or symlinks
in - for example - the %files section, as SVR4 apparently does, instead
of just creating them at another place, like in %install (the # bytes
to type is nearly equal ;-)).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>