Re: New RPM API - Documentation

yOn Fri, 30 Apr 2004, David D. Hagood wrote:

> On 04/30/2004 08:59 AM, James Olin Oden wrote:
>
> > Maximum RPM up to date, and there is now an rpm-devel wiki
> > (rpm-devel.colug.net) where developers of rpm can begin placing the why.
> >
> Just signed up - expect me to make a pest of myself.
>
> > Again, go to rpm-devel.colug.net and there is an in progress version of
> > Max RPM from cvs there.
> >
> All I see is the CVS snapshot, and in so far as I can tell the section on librpm
> is still out of date. Is there an anoncvs server to get the lastest and greatest?

Yes, I think the info is on rpm.org, but Paul Nasrat probably knows for
sure.  You can usely catching him on #rpm at irc.freenode.net, or he may
just reply (-;

> >>Given a process running as non-root, how can I have that process determine a
> >>desired transaction set and communicate it to a root process (which will do the
> >>actual application)?
> >>

> > That question is as I understand it outside the scope of librpm.  The
> Obviously the actual user to root communications would be up to me to design.
> However, I see no way of portably (in a cross-process sense) describing a
> transaction set - as far as I have been able to tell, there is no way I can say
> "OK, I need to remove this RPM from the system - that is database entry 1024."
> All I have is a pointer to a memory structure that I cannot even be sure I could
> share via shmem - unless there IS a way to extract that info and I am just not
> seeing it.

Hmmm...I was pretty much thinking you would only pass enough information
for the work script to build the transaction (i.e. you would not build it
in the non-root script, only gather enough info to build it).  You
probably need to talk with Jeff Johnson, or Paul Nasrat if you really
want to pass an rpmts via some IPC mechansim.  My first guess is you
really don't need to do that, but I obviously am not aware of your overall
architecture you are shooting for.

Cheers...james