Re: User Installable Software FHS

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 18:36, John Newbigin wrote:
> "However, these tools require root privilege in order to use them. This
> is quite a contrast from Windows or Mac OS where anyone with admin
> privileges can install software easily on the system."
>
> How is the Windows Administrator different from the UNIX root?

Several administrator accounts (both Windows and OS X are this way)

> My 2c on this issue are:
> - any software to be used by all users needs to be installed by root.
> If root trusts the software then all the users should be able to
> - if a single user wants some software, they can install it into ~/bin
> and adjust their path as they see fit
> - if 2 users want to share some software, put them in a group and give
> them a directory where they can put the files

This is always an option with my proposed solution, but what my solution
does is open up options for those who do not want to become root to
install software others can use. Like a teacher in a classroom running
LTSP.

Could you in that environment create a directory teacher can write to
that students can execute from? yes. But unless it is easy for the
teacher to install software (package management) it is not going to be a
friendly system.

> At no time should user A be able to change what might be in user B's
> path (unless they have chosen to trust each other and are in a common
> group).  Each user will still construct their path in the appropriate order.

This is why not everyone can install. Only trusted users - those in the
group with write access to /software (which could be nobody if the root
admin so chooses)

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/