Re: User Installable Software FHS

"However, these tools require root privilege in order to use them. This is quite a contrast from Windows or Mac OS where anyone with admin privileges can install software easily on the system."

How is the Windows Administrator different from the UNIX root?

My 2c on this issue are:
- any software to be used by all users needs to be installed by root. If root trusts the software then all the users should be able to
- if a single user wants some software, they can install it into ~/bin and adjust their path as they see fit
- if 2 users want to share some software, put them in a group and give them a directory where they can put the files

At no time should user A be able to change what might be in user B's path (unless they have chosen to trust each other and are in a common group). Each user will still construct their path in the appropriate order.

I am not sure that RPM can help for users (except for perhaps rpm2cpio).

John.

Michael A. Peters wrote:

New to list, I'm sure this topic has been discussed before.
I've put together a small article discussing the issue of standard users
being able to install software on the system that is available for all
users, without having to be root to do so.

This I think is critical for acceptance of LOTD but also has benefits in
other areas too.

The article is at http://mpeters.us/linux/software.php

I am seeking comments on it.

Since this would (i think) require at least a small modification to how
rpm works, I'm CCing the rpm list as well.

So tear it apart and call it stupid, or recommend changes, or whatever.
Thanks.

--
John Newbigin - Computer Systems Officer
School of Information Technology