Re: build question ?

Hello Rhys,

> I am trying to do a rpmbuild -ba on an openssh spec file to create some
> rpms on a redhat 5.1 box running 2.0.38 (spec file from
> openssh-3.7.1p2-1.src.rpm )

Could you explain to me why you are using a RHL 5.1 system? Any reason
not to upgrade to RHL 9 or better Fedora Core 1? Using such an old
system makes it quite likely that your system has all kinds of
vulnerabilities that have been addressed in later releases.

> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
> cannot create executables

It is quite likely that you need a more recent compiler than the one
that comes with RHL 5.1. At best you need to set some configure flag to
handle the build on such an old system.

I don't know what your level of experience with Linux is, but if it's
not too big you'ld better not attempt to keep such an old system alive.

> I have -
> gcc

version?

> I have checked the config.log file and it's not very informative.

Of course you have read all the readmes, faqs, checked
http://www.openssh.com, relevant mailing list archives and googled to
find an answer for your somewhat exotic setup...

Leonard.