Re: Multiple DB search path

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:05:26PM -0700, John VanSciver wrote:

> Is there anyway to have query and install/update functions search multiple
> RPM databases? I need to be able to have install update one database, but
> search 2 databases for dependencies.
>
> There is an old bugzilla request #4137 that describes exactly what I need,
> but I see no resolution done for the request.

Heh, bug known well.

After *years* of effort, I've managed to get a 2nd rpmdb opened by rpm and
searched if dependency is not found in /var/lib/rpm.

This is the "Suggested resolution:" mechanism that is in the,
say, rpmdb-fedora package.

The generalization to a full blown PATH-like list of databases
expressed conceptually as, say,
	RPMDBPATH=/var/lib/rpm:/usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat:...
with the first database opened O_RDWR, with the others O_RDONLY used
to provide fifo suggestions for depsolvers seems to be a reasonable
approach imho.

Instead, current depsolvers are exploring multiple repositories of headers
(or xml representations of headers).

Similar conceptually, but lacking the speed of bsearch/hash on info retrieve.

A path for rpmdb's is still in my rpm goal set, I'll get there yet.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@xxxxxxxxxx (jbj@xxxxxxx)