Re: Can i build/output .rpm package to directory other than /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 directory?

In regard to: Re: Can i build/output .rpm package to directory other than...:

>Here are my questions:

Here are my responses:

>1. I dont seems to be able to find any documentation on how to use rpmmacros,
>would you please let me know where i can find them?

All I've needed to know about macros I learned in Kindergarten.
Er, wait, I learned by following the rpm mailing list.  Perhaps you
should spend an afternoon or long weekend perusing the archive for this
mailing list.  You're not pioneering new territory -- many of your
questions have been asked and answered before on the list.  Some of your
questions have been asked and answered dozens of times before.  Some have
been answered very very recently.

If you carefully examine what's in the /usr/lib/rpm/macros and
/usr/share/doc/rpm-* directory, that should answer many of your questions.

>2. How can i also specify the location of rpmmacros? I would like to create a
>copy only in the build directory with other source and misc files.

This is like deja vu.  Read the "rebuild" thread that's been going on on
this list for a couple days.  There's an example in that thread on how
to define things like %_topdir without using a .rpmmacros file.  That will
probably do what you want.

>3. I noticed that it will create the .rpm files under i386 directory. Is it a
>correct behaviour? Can I change it?

Well, not if you're on a SPARC box, or a MIPS box, or a ..., but it seems
like OK behavior if you're on an Intel Pentium-like box.  By default *on
Linux*, rpm assumes the binaries you're building were built for a lowest
common denominator (i386).

Yes you can change that behavior, but I don't recall the exact method.  I
know with 100% certainty that the answer to this question can be found in
the archives to this mailing list.  I think it has something to do with
passing a command line argument like

	--target i686

when executing rpmbuild.  You can find more information by searching the
archives for this list.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx