Re: Problems installing MySQL from the RH9 CDs

Jordi Blanch Carles wrote:

I'm a newbie in Linux.

I've installed a RH9 in my server machine. I'm using the up2date tool, so all my packages should be up to date. Today I've tried to install MySQL with the GUI Package Management Tool. When it checkes dependencies, it fails reporting a "Package Not Found" error. It says that the postgresql 7.3.2 package can't be found on my system. I've checked manually using "rpm -q postgresql", and the result is that I already have the 7.3.4 version of that package on my system. I can't understand why does the Package Manager complain about it.

That's a very interesting question and bears to what you are supposed to do with these CDs you bought or downloaded and burnt that are essentially useless because they are obsolete so fast.

The best way for you to get MySQL installed is to do "up2date mysql," which will upgrade every dep you need from the RHN.

Does it mean that if I continue using up2date I'll never be able again to use my installation CDs to install new programs?

Never? Naw. Rarely, yes.

Where is my fault?

no fault of yours. Just bad luck and vagaries of fate.

--
Aaron Bennett
UNIX Administrator